Methods to connect Canon Printers to other devices
Canon is one of the most popular brands in the printer manufacturing market. Fans love these versatile printers, which are known for the multiple features that they possess. The Canon printers come in both wired and wireless formats. You can use them with your laptop, PC, Mac, and Chromebook. This vast array of possibilities makes the connection of Canon printers a little bit tricky. Especially the first time users find it extremely confusing to connect the printers to their devices. If you are one of those confused souls, then do not worry. We have come up with various methods that will help you to connect your brand new Canon printer to your device and use it seamlessly.
How to connect Canon Printer to Wi-Fi?
This section is concerned with those Canon printers which work in the wireless mode. The connection between a wireless Canon printer and a commanding device is established through a shared connection or Wi-Fi. So the first step towards establishing the connection with any device is to connect to the Wi-Fi. For this article, we will take the example of the Canon Pixma wireless printer.
There are two ways to connect canon printer to Wi-Fi (connect Canon Pixma printer to Wi-Fi). The first technique involves the usage of the WPS button to directly connect the Pixma printer to your Wi-Fi network. The user does not need the Wi-Fi password to join in this mode. So essentially, it is a faster method.
But if the Wi-Fi router does not have a WPS button, then we will have to proceed with the conventional mode of Wi-Fi setup for the Pixma printer.
Before proceeding with this method, make sure that your Wi-Fi router has a physical WPS button, which we will be using shortly. Also, the router must use WPA or WPA2 security protocol. It should not be a worry as most of the routers use either of these two protocols only.
- Press the power button of the Printer.
- Next, press and hold the Wi-Fi button, which is present on the top of your Printer. If you are using some other version of the Canon printer, then the Wi-Fi button will be located somewhere else. The switch has a sign of a tower radiating signals. Press and hold the button until the associated alarm lamp flashes one time. The Wi-Fi lamp will start blinking with blue light until the Printer is connected to the Wi-Fi network.
- Now, go over to your router. Make sure that it is on. Also, a stable Wi-Fi connection is suitable for this purpose. Press the WPS button on the router after everything settles down. Keep in mind that you have only 2 minutes to press this button after the Wi-Fi lamp starts to flash on the Pixma printer. The power and the Wi-Fi lamp of the Printer will keep flashing with their respective colors during the whole search process.
- The Printer and the router will automatically make a connection at this point. When the connection takes place, the power and the Wi-Fi light will stop flashing. Instead, they will continuously remain lit after the connection.
If you want to confirm the connection of the devices fully, then you can do so by printing the network settings from the Printer. Here’s how-
- Power on the Printer.
- Load the Printer with either letter-sized or A4 papers
- Now, press and hold the “Resume/ Cancel” button on the Printer. You need to continue pressing until the alarm lamp of the printer flashes for 15 continuous times. After that, you can release the button.
- The above step will render the Printer to print the network settings of the Printer. On the settings make sure this following two information to confirm the connection between the Printer and the Wi-Fi router-
SSID- The name of your Wi-Fi network
Now, the standard method that we will be using to connect the Pixma printer to the wireless network can be considered in many ways. If you are looking for ways to connect Canon printer to a laptop or connect Canon printer to pc, then the following section is just for you.
How to Connect Canon printer to PC or laptop
Before we start with the setup of the Canon printer, make sure that the Wi-Fi router is on and working. Also, make sure that the commanding device, i.e., the PC or the laptop, is connected to the network. Now, follow these steps-
- Insert the setup disc that came with your Canon printer into the device that you want to link up with the Printer. You can also download the required files for the installation from the official website of Canon.
- On your browser, type “Canon.com/ijsetup” and hit the enter button. On the resulting page, click on the “set up” button.
- On the next page, you will need to choose your geographical region. Next, select the version of your Printer from the list of Canon printers.
- Finally, select the operating system that you have been using in your device. Click on the “Windows PC” option here. We will be talking about the setup of Canon printers in Mac later in this article. Now, depending on your choices so far, a setup file will be provided to you to download. Click on the “download” button here.
- Once the download is completed, run the setup file, you can find the file on the “Downloads” section of your computer or laptop. It will initiate the setup process.
- Now, review the information that is present on the screen from the installer package. Click on “next” to continue. The setup guide will installation will happen. It may take a few moments at this point.
- After the installation, the “Canon setup guide” will appear. It will ask you to choose either a “wireless connection” or “USB connection.” As we are setting the Printer up with the Wi-FI network, so select the first option.
- Click on the “next” button. It will confirm that your Printer is on.
- In the next window, click on the “Connect to the network” option. The “setup procedure selection” options will appear. Click on the “other setup button.”
- On the next page, click on the “Wireless Setup using the USB cable option.” It will bring a list of different applications like drivers, printers, user manuals, and so on. Click on the “select all” button followed by “Next.”
- The previous steps will bring the license agreement. Click “next” on both of the following occasions to install all the software that you have just selected. It will take some time to complete.
- Now, a window called “check Printer settings” will appear. Check on the “setup the network connection with the USB” box and hit the “next” button.
- Connect the USB on your PC/ laptop and the Printer. The installed software will detect the Printer.
- Once the detection becomes successful, a list of available Wi-Fi networks will appear on your device screen. Choose the particular system that you want to connect and type the password under the “Network Key.” Press the “connect” button. It will successfully connect your Printer to the Wi-Fi network.
- After the connection, a window will appear prompting you to remove the USB from the Printer. Follow the instruction and click “next.”
- The next pages will be Printer alignment and setup completion message. Hit the “next” button on both occasions.
- You will land up in the test printing page. To see if the Printer is performing well, click on “execute.” Check the quality of the print. When you are satisfied with the quality, click on the “Next” button. It will complete the whole process of connecting your Canon Printer to your laptop/ PC and also to the Wi-Fi network.
How to Connect Canon Printer to Mac
- Turn on the Wi-Fi router and the Printer. The Wi-Fi indicator beside the Wi-Fi button should be blinking. If it is not flashing, then press and hold the Wi-Fi button until the alarm light blinks twice. Release the button that will initiate the blinking of the Wi-Fi light.
- Now, you will need to download the setup files of your Printer for Mac. To do so, visit the website “Canon.com/ ijsetup.” Choose the region and the model number in the following pages. You will also need to choose the operating system of your device. Choose the option for Mac OS.
- On the resulting page, click on the “download” button to initiate the downloading of the setup file. You will find the finished file on the “Downloads” folder of your computer.
- Click on the setup file to open. It will ask if you are sure about opening the file. Click on the “open” option.
- On the “Setup” window, click on the “next” button. It will bring up a popup window that will require the administrator username and password of your device. Enter them correctly on the dedicated spaces and hit the “Install Helper” button.
- On the resulting window, go over the piece of information and click on the “next” button. It will initiate the installation of the setup guide. After that, you will need to click on the “proceed” button to continue the setup process.
- Now, you will need to select the connection method. There are two options- “Wireless connection” and the “USB connection.” Press on the “Wireless connection” option in this case to avoid the usage of a USB cable.
- The setup will ask you to confirm that the Printer is ON. Make sure that it is ON and press the “next” button. Press the “Next” button on the following page also.
- On the new page, click on the “Connect to the network” button. The following page will be about selecting the setup procedure. There are three options here- WPS, Cableless setup, and other setup methods. For this example, we are using the Cableless option.
- At this point, the “Connection via cable less setup” window will show up on the screen of your Mac. You need to hit the “next” buttons in the next two screens.
- You will encounter a popup message that will ask for permission for the Wi-Fi password from your keychain. Hit the “allow” button to give consent. Now, you will again need to select the geographical location from the four options and hit the “next” button. The next page will ask for the country.
- Then you will find a list of files that you will be able to choose to keep. It will include files and software like the user manual, IJ scan utility2, quick menu, etc. Press the “select all” button followed by “next.”
- Click on the “Yes” button to agree to the license and initiate the installation process.
- When the installation becomes complete, click on the “Add a printer” button. From the list of printers, select the Canon printer.
- Click on “add” and “next” for the following four pages. You can avoid the registration and the survey prompt for now.
- Finally, I hit the exit button to finish the process.
How to Connect Canon Printer to Chromebook
Make sure that the Printer is on. The same network should connect both the devices.
- On your screen, click on the clock icon, followed by the gear icon that represents “settings.” It will open up the settings panel on your Chromebook.
- On top of your settings window, type the word “Print.”
- Now, choose the “Printers.” Follow it by clicking on the “Add printers” button. It will pop up a window named “Add a nearby printer.”
- On the window that we have mentioned in the last step, choose your Printer and click on the “Add” button. It will finish the pairing of the Chromebook and your Canon printer.
How to connect Canon Printer to laptop with USB
- Turn on the Canon Printer and connect it with your laptop using a USB cord.
- Go to the “Control Panel” of the laptop and choose the “Hardware and Sound” option. Follow it by selecting “Devices and Printers,” and then “Add a Printer.”
- Choose “Local Printer” and follow it by selecting the port.
- Also, choose the Canon printer model in the driver’s window. Hit the “next” button.
- Select a name for the Printer and press “next” on the next two occasions.
- You can choose to set the Printer as the default one in the last step. Now, hit the “Finish” button to complete the task.
Apply these techniques to connect your Canon printer to any commanding device that you want.