Canon IJ Setup and Installation
Helpline Number : +1-877-200-8067
Why is My Canon Printer Not Responding?
The error of ‘Canon printer not responding’ is a common issue faced by many users and this can happen due to variety of reasons. This article will help you determine why your Cannon Printer stopped working suddenly and what you need to do to bring it back to work.
Solution and Reason Behind Canon Printer Not Responding Problem
Some of the reasons due to which your ‘Canon printer is not responding’ are mentioned as below-
1. Printer Spooler Error
Canon Printer spooler is a service that is responsible for all the printing jobs of the printer. It is a small application that handles the paper printing jobs received by the printer from a computer. Sometimes this spooler stops working due to technical issues which later leads to the printer not responding error.
This issue can be resolved by simply restarting the printer spooler. To restart the printer spooler, follow the below steps:-
- Press Windows button + R
- Type services.msc in the run box and press Enter.
- A new window will appear. Find printer spooler on that window and double click on it.
- A small window will appear. In that window click on the stop button under service status.
- Then click on the start button and click on ‘OK’.
2. Printhead Error:-
It is essential to clean printer head on regular basis to fix ‘Canon printer is not responding error’. Follow the below steps:
Firstly Open the Canon printer driver setup window
- Next Press on Cleaning from the Maintenance tab. Now from the print head cleaning dialog box, select the ink group for which cleaning is to be performed.
- Click on ‘Initial Check Items’ before performing cleaning.
Now click on ‘execute cleaning’ to begin the cleaning process. Ensure that you printer is ‘ON’ before you start the cleaning process.
Thereafter select execute the ‘nozzle check’ from the list.
- Furthermore click and execute ‘print check pattern’. Now your printer should be in working condition along with the improvement in quality of print.
3. Select Printer From ‘Offline’ mode to ‘Online’ :-
If in your printer setting the option of ‘use printer in offline mode’ is selected, then your printer will not work. To solve this issue you need to unselect this option. To do that follow the below steps –
- Click on the start button of your computer.
- Go to settings.
- Then click on devices and select ‘printers and scanners’.
- Now select your Canon printer from the list of available printers and right click on it.
- Click on ‘see what’s printing’ option from the dropdown menu.
- Select ‘printer’ option from the upper left corner.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Now unselect ‘use printer offline’ option.
4. Printer Driver Error :-
Another reason for the canon printer not responding issue can be the driver error of the printer. If you are using a wrong printer driver or older driver then that may lead to the printer not responding error.
You can resolve this issue by following the below steps-
- Firstly remove your existing driver by going to settings.
- Now click on devices and select ‘devices and printers’.
- Find your Canon printer from the list of available printers and right click on it and select ‘remove’ option. Now your printer driver is uninstalled.
- Now go to Canon’s official website and download your printer’s driver by entering the correct model number of your printer.
- Install the driver by following the onscreen setup. After completion of the setup your printer will be ready to use.
5. Network Discovery Error :-
Network discovery is an essential network setting of your computer. This setting helps to find available computers and devices on the network. If this setting is turned off then the ‘printer not responding’ error may arise. Usually this setting remains off. However you can resolve canon printer issue by turning it on from the settings. To turn on the network discovery setting follow the below steps –
- Go to settings of your computer.
- Click on network and internet settings.
- Under network and internet find ‘sharing’ options.
- Now click on sharing options and a new window will appear.
- In that window select “turn on network discovery” option.
- Now network discovery is turned and your issue will be resolved.
6. Wrong Port Connections :-
If you have connected the printer to a wrong port then Canon Printer not responding issue may appear. While configuring the port of your printer you must ensure that you are connecting it to the right port.
To solve the canon printer working issue you can reconfigure the printer to the correct port. To do that follow these steps –
- Go to settings of your computer.
- Click on devices then select ‘devices and printers’.
- Find your printer from the printer list and right-click on it.
- Then select Properties from the drop-down menu.
- In properties go to the general section and select change properties.
- Then click on “ports” and select the port where the printer’s name is available.
- Lastly click on apply.
7. Connectivity Issue:-
If there is a connection problem between the Canon printer and the PC then this error may appear.
- For wired Canon printer– The connection issue can be due to damaged cables or loose connection between the printer and PC. Therefore to fix this issue, change your wire cable if damaged and ensure that there is no loose connection between printer and your computer.
- For wireless Canon printer– This connection issue can occur due to printer being connected to slow WiFi connection or by connecting both printer and PC to different networks. To fix this always connect your printer to a fast WiFi connection and make sure that your printer and Wifi connection are on same network.
Canon Printer Not Responding on MAC- Quick Troubleshooting Steps
If your Canon printer is not responding on Mac, this section is for you. Follow the below given troubleshooting steps –
Solution 1: Check Printer Status On Mac
- Ensure that the printer is connected to Mac.
- Click on the Apple menu and go to ‘System Preferences’.
- Then, Click on the ‘Printers & Scanners’ Option.
- Now check if your Canon printer is listed or not.
Solution 2: Reset The Printing System
- Firstly, go to Apple menu & select ‘System Preferences’.
- Next click on the ‘Printers And Scanners’ option.
- Right click on your shown Canon printers & choose ‘Reset printing system’ Option.
If your Canon printer is not listed in this Window, you must check the printer connection by checking the USB cable which connects the printer from the Mac computer.
Solution 3: Fix For Wifi Printers on Mac
While using printer over WiFi, an improper connection between printer and Mac can cause ‘Canon printer not responding on MAC error’. Follow the below steps to fix this error-
- Firstly, go to Apple menu and select ‘System Preferences’.
- Now click on ‘Printers And Scanners’ option.
- Check if your Canon printer is shown as ‘available’. If not then you need to add your printer by selection ‘+’ sign. Alternatively you can add printer by downloading the drivers as mentioned in the earlier part of this section.
Reinstalling the printer drivers should fix the Canon printer not responding error on MAC.
So above in this article we have mentioned the reasons for Canon printer not responding along with its solution. You can try the appropriate solution for the said reason. The key here is to try all the solutions one by one without losing patience. However if all of the mentioned solutions do not work for you, then contact us on the number provided on screen. Alternatively you can contact Canon’s helpline from their official website.